Special Collections & Archives Digital Library Collections
The University of Waterloo Library's Special Collections & Archives holds early editions and rare books, collections of archives and manuscripts, and other material that requires special care and handling because of its early publication date, association interest, physical condition, aesthetic value, or unusual format.
- Pulp fiction covers
- A variety of pulp fiction titles and formats are held as part of Special Collections & Archives' (SCA) rare book holdings. Ranging from westerns and hardboiled crime to science fiction, fantasy and exploitation, they reflect changing and emerging societal attitudes about topics such as race, sexuality and technology. Among the selection of pulp fiction covers included here are titles from the B.P. Nichol Library of Science Fiction, the Lesbian Literature Collection and the Black Experience Collection.
- Schantz Russell family fonds
- The Schantz Russell family fonds includes archival material and a book collection documenting the lives and interests of multiple generations of the Schantz Russell family including letters, photographs and maps. See the Archives Database for detailed finding aids for the Schantz Russell family fonds.
- Special Collections & Archives holds several scrapbooks that document a range of women's experience, from accounts of school life to recordings from trips abroad. Each book offers a unique and fascinating look into the lives of their authors.
- Suffragette postcard collection
- Collection consists of 13 unused postcards concerning suffragettes and women's rights. Included are photographs of Christobel Pankhurst with Emmeline Pethick-Lawrence at a demonstration in Hyde Park, one of a suffragette in prison, a portrait of Emmeline Pankhurst, and Flora Drummond protesting opposite the English House of Common. The remainder are cartoons. Everyone in the photographs and illustrations is white. See the Suffragette postcard collection finding aid on the Archives Database for more information about the postcards.
- William Dendy fonds
- The William Dendy fonds consists of materials documenting Dendy's life and career as an architectural historian. It includes university course notes, research material for published works, research material on the history of Canadian architecture and other research interests such as Forest Hill, Hamilton, the architects Frank Darling and William Somerville, and the Massey family. Some materials relate to Dendy's teaching activities, Toronto walking tours and consultancy projects.